Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My First

Hello, my name is Alex Doten and I will be your Fairfield sports blogger this year. I'm a junior from Boston (yes I'm a sox fan) and I live off campus. My first order of business is to discuss the fall sports teams. Both men's and women's soccer are off to good starts. The men have seemingly continued their momentum from last year into this one, after winning their first NCAA tournament game over Uconn a year ago. They are nationally ranked, but will not let their pre season hype be an excuse to get a lazy, but only give them further motivation to succeed this year and win their second conference title in a row. Now that the upper classmen have had their taste of victory from a season ago, they only want to succeed further in the big dance this season. The women are led by an extremely talented group of upper classmen and a stellar incoming freshman class. The field hockey team also has high hopes, although the beginning of their season has been marred by controversy with the dismissal of senior captain and emotional leader Lauren Callahan being unfairly singled out and robbed of her senior season by a questionable move by the coach. Don't get me wrong, the team is still extremely talented and their starting goalie is back, but any sort of injury could be catastrophic for the hopes for an otherwise deep and talented crop of players.

No comments: